What is Canada Super Visa?
Otherwise known as the Parent Visa in Canada or the Parent and Grandparent Super Visa, It is a travel authorization that is granted exclusively to parents and grandparents of a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada.
Super visa belongs to the Temporary Resident Visas. It allows parents and grandparents to stay for up to 2 years in Canada per visit. Like a regular multiple-entry visa, Super Visa is also valid for up to 10 years. However multiple-entry visa allows stays of up to 6 months per visit. The Super Visa is ideal for parents and grandparents living in countries that require a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) for entry to Canada.
By obtaining the super visa, they will be able to travel freely between Canada and their country of residence without the worry and hassle of regularly re-applying for a TRV. You are issued an official letter from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that will authorize their visit for up to two years at their initial entry.
Be mindful that if you want to visit or stay in Canada for 6 months or less, it is advisable to apply for a Canada Tourist Visa or the online eTA Canada Visa exemption. The eTA Canada Visa process is automated, simple, and completely online. It can be completed in a matter of minutes.
Canada eTA Types.
Who Can Apply for the Super Visa?
Parents and grandparents of permanent residents or Canadian citizens are eligible to apply for the Super Visa. Only parents or grandparents, together with their spouses or common-law partners, may be included on an application for the Super Visa. You cannot include any other dependents in the application
The applicants must be considered admissible to Canada. An officer form Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) will decide if you are admissible to Canada when you apply for a visa. You could be found inadmissible for a number of reasons, such as:
- Security - Terrorism or violence, espionage, attempts to overthrow a government etc
- International rights violations - war crimes, crimes against humanity
- Medical - medical conditions that endanger public health or safety
- Misrepresntation - providing false information or withholding information
Eligibility requirements for Super Visa Canada
- Parents or grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents - so a copy of your children or grandchildren Canadian citizenship or permanent resident document
- A letter of invitation from the child or grandchild residing in Canada
- A written and signed promise of your financial support from your child or grand child for your entire stay in Canada
- Documents that prove the child or grandchild meets the Low Income Cut-Off (LICO) minimum
Applicants also need to purchase and show proof of Canadian medical insurance that
- covers them for at least 1 year
- at least Canadian $100,000 coverage
You also have to:
- Be outside Canada when applying for one.
- All applicants will be required to undergo a medical examination.
- Whether parents or grandparents will maintain sufficient ties to their home country
Guide to Canadian culture.
I am from a Visa-exempt country, can I still apply for Super Visa?
If you belong to a visa-exempt country you can still get a super visa to stay in Canada for up to 2 years. Post successful submission and approval of Super Visa, you will be issued an official letter from Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). You will present this letter to border services officer when you arrive in Canada.
If you are planning to come by an airplane, you will also need to apply for an Electronic Travel Authorization called eTA Canada Visa separately to allow you to travel to and enter Canada. The eTA Canada Visa is electronically linked to your passport, so you need to travel with the passport you used to apply for your eTA, and your letter to facilitate your travel to Canada.
Check your eligibility for eTA Canada Visa and apply for eTA Canada Visa 72 hours in advance of your flight. British citizens, Australian citizens, French citizens, and German citizens can apply online for eTA Canada Visa. Should you need any help or require any clarifications you should contact our helpdesk for support and guidance.